Thursday, May 15, 2008

Precious.




We have yet another batch of piglets. I tell you what. We are a baby having farm. There are tons of new little lives running around here.

And some of those new little lives need homes!!! There will be more on that shameless plug tomorrow.

But, I felt this photo deserved its own post.

We went out to the barn to check on the animals. When we walked over to the new batch of piglets, this little guy was found sleeping with one of Dolly's (calico) kittens.

He happens to be one of the two runts that Ethel had. He is tiny compared to the rest of them. It is obvious that the other piglets know that he is weaker. They pick on him and push him out of the way. It is taking all of me not to swoop in a rescue him and the other little runt. But in order for them to grow stronger, they have to first have the ability to survive. It is just hard for me to watch them struggle.

I'm getting all sappy over a piglet so I'll stop.

I do think it would be cool to live out Charlotte's Web minus Charlotte, the spider, of course. Jason and I had a Charlotte's Web type of conversation when we witnessed 'Ethel', the momma, stepping on the other runt who Kaylyn has conveniently named 'Wilbur'.

I don't know if this little guy will make it. We shall see. The 'Fern' in me caved and had Jason put the little piglet back with its momma. But, let it be known that I will be checking on him regularly. I just wasn't ready to push him around in a stroller, bathe him in my kitchen sink, and bottle-feed him every 2 hours.

This particular runt in the photos has undoubtedly made friends with the kittens.


7 comments:

Sarah Shalley said...

That's the cutest, sweetest thing I've seen in a long time. I'm a Charlotte sucker too. If I were you, I'd save everything on the farm. No doubt.

On a side note, what the heck!? The little piglet has a pink body and black head. How cute and funny looking!

Heidi said...

Absolutely priceless. I'm all choked up. I think I would make a terrible farm girl. I did make a terrible farm girl once upon a time, and we weren't even on a real farm. I'm too sensitive about stuff like that.

Anonymous said...

Soooo awesome. I like kitties and piglets... I'm not ashamed.

You should sell those as posters to the local dentist offices.

Megan said...

I'll come over and save that cute little piglet!! :)

Meg

Anonymous said...

ok..grandma will have to come out there and take care of it...yes, i understand what j-bob is trying to get across about letting them learn to fight to survive..but, this was your 1st litter...also how many did the 2nd pig have...when?...love to all..mom..grandma

QuiltedSimple said...

Poor little piglet - do you think you could ship him express to Ohio? Just what we need - but he is so cute with the kittens...

You ought to count up just exactly how many babies you have running around - too bad you couldn't get a group photo!!

Take care,
Kris

sugarcreekfarm said...

Cutest. Thing. Ever.