Friday, November 20, 2009

{{rEcIpE}} Broccoli Salad





I’m addicted to this salad!!!! This is an original concoction of mine and I’m so pleased with how the recipe turned out.


It’s soooooo good.


I make it and keep it in the fridge. When I have the urge, I open the door to my wonderfully awesome salad that is waiting to take me to broccoli heaven.


My girls love it too. They could eat broccoli and cauliflower right off the stem (I can't even do that) so I knew that they would love this salad.


Broccoli is in season right now, so this is perfect timing.

This salad is also super good for you and has all nutritious ingredients in it.


I’ve had similar recipes that call for mayo and sugar for the dressing. But, since I’m mayo-a-phobic, that won’t work for me.


Here is the recipe:


Broccoli Salad


3 heads of broccoli cut up into florets

1 cup dried cranberries

1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds

½ cup raw cashews

¼ cup chopped red onion

1 cup shredded carrot (I peeled a whole carrot into the salad with a peeler)

½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

Optional: shredded chicken for added protein (the picture is shown w/ chicken in the salad)


Dressing:


½ cup cold-pressed olive oil

½ cup apple cider vinegar

¼ cup red wine vinegar

4 T organic maple syrup

3 T whole grain mustard (I use organic central market brand)

1 lime squeezed

salt, pepper, onion powder


Cut up and add all of your veggies and nuts. Mix up dressing and whisk together so dressing is mixed well. Pour on top of salad and mix together. Yum!

2 comments:

Deanna Schultz said...

Hey Lynsey.
I am going to try this salad. It sounds really good.
I am wondering, do you cook the broccoli at all?

mandi said...

yummy!