Friday, November 13, 2009

Ruthie {aLmOsT 6 mOnThS}



Ruthie is still as sweet as ever! I still can't believe how laid back she truly is.

Most of the time, she is either in my lap perfectly content looking at the world or playing on a blanket in the floor. She has plenty to watch with her older sisters and plenty of little kisses throughout the day from them too!

She is a wonderful sleeper too so I'm very thankful for that.

Ruthie has two teeth. And they aren't just barely in....they are two big teeth. All three of my girls have gotten their first tooth by 4 months old.

She hasn't really started a whole lot of solids yet. I plan on following the Weston A. Price's recommendation for "Nourishing a Growing Baby"- minus the feeding liver part. I still can't do that!

I made lots of whole foods for Laney Rae and didn't do the baby food in a jar thing- just my preference. We eat lots of steamed veggies so this was fairly easy for me to do.

But, I didn't hold off on giving grains until one year like WAP recommends doing. This time around, I'm going to try that out with Ruthie. It makes perfect sense since grains are harder for our bodies to digest.

I've been reading a lot lately about natural whole food diets in general that are rich in fruits, veggies, and meat. So far, this makes the most sense to me, but it's the entire opposite of what I did Kaylyn (our first) and what I knew then.

Some of the first foods they recommend at 6 months are:

- Boiled Egg Yolk (not the whites since that is where the allergens are)
- Pureed Meats
- Vegetable Puree of either squash, sweet potatoes, parsnips, rutabagas, carrots or beets- Individually
- Fruit Sauces of peaches, nectarines, apples, blueberries, cherries, pears, or berries

Basically anything that is considered a real whole food.

Ruthie was too cute sitting in our mother daughter chair in the living room yesterday. I wanted to capture the moment and savor it forever.



11 comments:

Kirby said...

so cute! she is such a sweet baby, Lyns! I've never heard a peep out of her...ya know...the whole 4 times I've been around her!

I'm glad that you're getting the nutrition stuff figured out...maybe baby #3 will get it right for me, too!

Rachel said...

How sweet! She is precious. I can spend hours reading on the Weston Price site. Annalise didn't start solids until she was a week shy of 9 months old. She just wasn't interested. With Josiah, I pushed them, but with her, I didn't and we had so much fewer digestive issues. She also barely did baby food before moving onto finger foods. Easier for me!

Brandi Tejeda said...

Lynsey she is beautiful! There must be something peaceful about the third child because Samuel is the same way. :)

Have ful with the foods! We actually dont start any foods until around 9 or 10 months...IF they ask for it. If they are happy just nursing, we just do that. I think its smart to hold off on grains and anything that is not on your list for as long as possible. You are such a great mom!! :)

Sarah Crosby said...

Talk about making me melt! She is sooo precious!!!!! I love her!

Anonymous said...

how cute she is our ruthie claire...can't believe already 6 mths..i am sure you will do just fine on her feeding schedule...the other two our beautiful, healthy, happy girls with a great mom who loves and cares for them deeply...love grandma

Grace @ Ruby Moon Designs said...

I love all the baby food advice. I did jars and homemade food with Johnathan - and it always felt so rewarding to make his food...plus the jars are way too expensive!

Ruthie is super cute and does look like a very content little baby. What a blessing!

-Grace

Holly Mathis Interiors said...

i love these images..that first one really captures her sweet little spirit..well they all do but i just love the first one..she is a sweet sweet one!

mandi said...

sweet baby girl!

larissa said...

I've read quite a bit about WAP as well. We are planning to wait until at 6 months before starting solids, too. I will most likely do plenty of whole foods like banana or avocado, but will probably do some purees as well. Either way, Rafe is content to just nurse right now, as he's growing well. I'm hoping to do it as more of a child-led thing.

Anonymous said...

What a cutie and getting so big!

Amy

Carpio Family said...

hey there,

Ok, so we definitely are trying to do the child led food thing. right now Fionna is grabbing what ever she can. So far she's licked a green bean and strawberry. so funny to see her face with the textures.

Ok, the real reason i commented is this. This web sit - passionate homemaking has a recipe for super baby porridge. It's suppose to be an easy starting grain. I am interested in trying it. Thought I'd pass it along.
http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/04/homemade-super-baby-porridge.html