Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Shirts, Chicks, and a Book




I made a last minute craft last night for the girls to wear for Christmas......Nativity Shirts! When I saw this template in Sophia Grace's Etsy store I had to make them.

You should go check out some of the other templates in her store. A little boy in my life will be sporting the owl and neck tie shirt too!

They were extremely simple. I used Heat N Bond and the template from Sophia Grace.

It's not too late to make your little one a nativity shirt. If you have scrap fabric, heat n' bond (walmart), and a plain shirt....you can do this. They are extremely simple. I made 4 in under an hour.





As life on a farm would have it, I had to rescue some baby chicks from dying in the winter chill a few days ago.

Their momma hen literally "counted her chicks before they hatched" and got off her nest while her eggs were still hatching......hmmmm, that phrase totally makes sense now.

I found some abandoned chicks that were newly hatched and wet out in the yard roaming around chirping for their momma. I knew that within a matter of hours they'd be dead.

I put them in a basket with a heat lamp on them. And there they reside, below the nativity scene in my home.




I kind of love this imperfect look. It just about sums up my life.

Farmer Jason was a bit in shock that I, the festive Christmas nazi, put these little boogers in the midst of all of Christmas decor. But, for me, it's just a good reminder not to get too uptight about things and focus on the overwhelming JOY of the birth of my Savior. Without the birth of Jesus, there would be no CROSS.

I'm overcome with thanksgiving and shear awe at what the Lord is doing in our home and in our hearts. He is so amazing.

Jason and I have been reading this book and needless to say, it's one of those that can change your life if you let it. The book is infused with scripture on every single page and is filled with TRUTH.....some really hard to swallow truth. And yet it is simple.......Jesus demands our all. Not our leftovers, not a little, not half, not the majority....our ALL.

From the website:

"Does something deep inside your heart long to break free from the status quo? Are you hungry for an authentic faith that addresses the problems of our world with tangible, even radical, solutions? God is calling you to a passionate love relationship with Himself. Because the answer to religious complacency isn't working harder at a list of do's and don'ts — it's falling in love with God. And once you encounter His love, as Francis describes it, you will never be the same.

Because when you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything."

So good to be reminded of that this Christmas.

5 comments:

Hendrick Family said...

Adorable!!!

I love the shirt!

Can't wait to spend some time with you sweet sis-in-law.

I love you!

Mommy, M.D. said...

oh my word, i adore those shirts! very, very cute.

Gwynie Pie said...

Love the shirt. Chicks are really cute too. :) Crazy Love is on my list of reading in the new year...can't wait. I'm ready to be challenged.

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

Gwyn Rosser
www.gwynrosser.blogspot.com
The Pink Tractor

TxFarmhouse said...

I love those shirts! Very clever! Of course, you have an adorable model.
I remember last year at this time, Buddy and I had 24 newly hatched peeps under a heat lamp in our RV with us. Now...folks just can't understand why we're so terribly attached to those precious creatures.
Gonna have to look for that book.
Hope y'all have a safe and very Merry Christmas,
Berte

DyessFam said...

What a fabulous idea for the shirts...will be implementing that next year...among a million other things I want to do, of course! Your photography is fantastic and inspires me to get better at mine. Love your blog.:)