Friday, March 21, 2008

The Joys of Motherhood




Kaylyn has the most giving heart. She is always thinking of others and ways to make their day.

One of the joys of having this precious daughter of mine, is being a constant recipient of flowers during the spring and summer months. She would give them to me year around if flowers bloomed that long.

Pictured above are bluebonnets that Kaylyn blessed me with a few days ago. We know you aren't supposed to pick these (won't you get arrested or something?), but we have fields of them on our land. Picking a few 'never hurt nobody'!

I was reminded of what a blessing Kaylyn is in our lives after a not so joyful moment with her the other day at our local Wal-Mart. I was less than pleasant for my children to be around for about the 10 minutes it took us to get home in order to prove the point of my disapproval in what she had done.

As I huffed and puffed up the steps and into our house after a defeated trip to Wal-Mart, the first thing my eyes locked with were my fragrant filled bluebonnets.

My heart sank and I went to Kaylyn to apologize for being so selfish in my anger.

I'm reading a fantastic book that I recommend all wives, mothers, and single women read. It is called Feminine Appeal: Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother by Carolyn Mahaney (love this lady).

I'll leave you with a quote from the book.

I seldom feel like much of an adventurer- standing in the kitchen, pouring cereal into bowls, refilling them, handing out paper towels when the inevitable cry comes: "Uh oh, I spilled." But sometimes at night the thought will strike me: There are three small people here, breathing sweetly in their beds, whose lives are for the moment in our hands. I might as well be at the controls of a moon shot, the mission is so grave and vast.

God's word reminds us when we feel so overwhelmed in these moments and when it seems as though the task at hand is too great.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9

6 comments:

QuiltedSimple said...

What a wonderful daughter you have, to bless you with flowers that she thinks are beautiful - and if it's wrong to pick them - oh well - they will grow back!! Perfect verse for the occassion too!!

And there is never a good trip to Wal-mart in our house (especially with kids) so that I why I am going at 9:30 tonight - alone time for me - YIPPEE!!

Have a wonderful Easter holiday,
Kris

Anonymous said...

they are precious in HIS sight...JESUS loves the little children of the world...gifts from GOD they are...she has learn to be so giving and kind from her mom and dad...thanks for seeing the flowers as you came thru the door..GOD has HIS ways always when it comes to HIS children...love to you all...mom...HE is RISEN...HE is RISEN indeed...

texasmcvays said...

That's a great post. Timely for me. It can be so hard at times how in the world do non beleivers do it without him? I'm glad you had a glory day!
Kyle

Anonymous said...

Lyns, I think that if the blue bonnets are on your property you can pick them. Lady Bird Johnson is the prior First Lady who put the program together so that all can enjoy the wonderful wild flowers of Texas.

You may want to double check this. I don't want Jason to have to do a citizen's arrest.

Love,
MD

carole said...

I love that book by Carolyn Mahaney!

I just read your comment over at Heidi's blog (about homeschooling) and came over to yours to look around. I have 3 boys about the same ages as Heidi's. I'm a "second generation" homeschooler, although my mom only homeschooled me for 4 of my school years (I also attended public and private schools), she did homeschool all 8 of my siblings K - 12.
Anyhow, I wanted to write and encourage you to dream big when it comes to considering home education. Don't let the fears of your weaknesses cloud the decision. :) It's an adventure, and it's hard, but it's worth it (so far, anyhow!) :)

Sarah Shalley said...

What a sweet girl. I love that excerpt...may have to grab that as a summer read. Thank you for your great insight.